IMPORTANT SAFEGUARDS – READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING EQUIPMENT.
Read all these warnings and instructions as well as the entire Manufacturers Users Manual/Instructions before using any medical equipment. Use the equipment only for its intended purpose and use as described in the manufacturers Instructions for Use. Improper use of medical equipment can result in serious or fatal illness/injury, improper treatment or property damage. Use equipment only with parts and accessories provided by your homecare provider for use with your specific equipment.
Close supervision is necessary when medical equipment is used by or near the physically or mentally impaired or children. Never use equipment while sleeping or drowsy unless directed by the manufacturer’s instructions. Review equipment precautions about small parts or tubing that may present a choking hazard to small children. Keep all bags used in packaging equipment away from children to prevent suffocation. Keep any medications or other hazardous or toxic items where children can not reach them. Always use close adult supervision when administering a medical treatment to a child. DO NOT LEAVE CHILD UNATTENDED DURING TREATMENTS.
When using electrical and medical products, especially when children are present, basic safety precautions should always be followed, including the following:
To reduce the risk of serious or fatal injury from electrocution:
- Do not place or store equipment where it can fall or be pulled into a bathtub, sink, water, or other liquid.
- Do not place in or drop into water or other liquid. Do not use while bathing.
- Do not reach for equipment that has fallen into water or other liquid. Unplug immediately.
- Do not touch equipment with wet hands.
- Always unplug equipment immediately after using unless otherwise directed by manufacturer’s instructions.
To reduce the risk of serious or fatal injury from electrocution, fire or burns and to reduce the risk of damage and malfunction to the equipment:
- Before use, check the label on the equipment to ensure that the voltage and current indicated on the unit correspond to the voltage and current available.
- Never operate equipment if it has a damaged cord or plug, if it is not working properly, if it has been dropped or damaged, if it is sparking, if it is emitting smoke or an unusual odor, or if it has been exposed to any liquids inside the case. Return the product to the homecare provider or manufacturers Service Center for examination and repair.
- Keep all electrical equipment and cords away from heated surfaces. Do not overload wall outlets extension cords.
- Do not run electrical cords under rugs, over nails or other sharp objects or in high traffic areas.
- Some equipment has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). As a safety feature, this plug will fit in a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully in the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. Do not attempt to defeat this safety feature.
- Never block the air vents of equipment or place it on a soft surface, such as a bed or couch, where the air vents may be blocked. Keep the air vents free of lint, hair, and similar substances. Blockage could cause excessive heat buildup and become a fire hazard. A product should never be left unattended when plugged in.
- Do not operate equipment outdoors unless otherwise directed by the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Do not operate equipment where oxygen is being administered in a closed environment such as an oxygen tent.
- Never drop or insert any object into any openings in the equipment.
- Be sure the equipment is unplugged prior to cleaning.
- Do not open or disassemble equipment unless directed by manufacturer’s instructions. Refer all servicing to the homecare provider or authorized manufacturers Service Center.
- Use only adapters that are authorized for use with your equipment. Use of unapproved accessories can lead to improper treatment or damage to the equipment and/or adapters.
- Make sure that equipment is powered off or unplugged before attaching any adapters or accessories.
- Never spray liquids onto the equipment housing or battery. Fluid could cause damage to the equipment parts and could lead to a malfunction. In the event that fluids enter the unit, return the product to the homecare provider or an authorized manufacturers Service Center for examination and repair.
- Do not use the equipment while operating a vehicle.
- Use only the replaceable/rechargeable battery described in the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
- Do not immerse batteries in water.
- Do not expose batteries to direct sunlight, humidity, extreme temperatures or chemicals.
- Make sure battery poles do not come into contact with keys or other metal objects, causing a “short circuit”.
- Some rechargeable batteries are protected from overheating (check manufacturers manual). Battery may not operate if it is over a certain temperature. Allow battery to cool before using.
- Rechargeable Batteries should only be recharged using manufacturer approved charging devices. Using other devices may damage the battery.
- Should rechargeable batteries fail to charge or operate properly when the manufacturers Instructions for Use are followed, discontinue use and notify the homecare provider or an authorized manufacturer Service Center for repair or replacement.
- Do not attempt to open the plastic case or to replace any components of a rechargeable battery unless directed by manufacturer’s instructions. Rechargeable batteries are usually sealed units that can not be repaired.
- Protect the environment: when replacing rechargeable batteries, recycle old battery or dispose of properly in accordance with local laws.
- Do not incinerate (burn) batteries.
- Respiratory devices (Nebulizer, etc.) are for single patient use (one person) only to prevent the spread of illnesses. Do not share your device with other patients including other family members.
- To reduce the risk of increased bacterial growth, infection, illness, or injury from contamination, thoroughly clean and dry all parts of devices and thoroughly dry any moisture or condensation in the tubing at the end of every treatment, following the instructions in the manufacturers manual.
- Cleaning the respiratory device after each treatment is not enough—you must also regularly disinfect or sterilize the device between treatments to prevent serious or fatal illness caused by contamination. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions or ask your homecare provider about sterilizing your device.
- Never use a nebulizer with a clogged nozzle. If the nozzle is clogged, the aerosol mist will be reduced, altered or stopped, which will diminish or eliminate the effectiveness of the treatment. If clogging occurs, clean nebulizer or replace it.
- Children under the age of 3 or any patient who is unable to use a mouthpiece properly under supervision should use a face mask.
- Before use, check device for proper assembly. All parts should be seated firmly in place. Use of an improperly assembled device could diminish or prevent an effective treatment.
- Never immerse in water or attempt to clean the inside of tubing used to carry air or oxygen. If liquids or moisture do get in tubing, attempt to dry out tubing or replace it to prevent contamination.
Make sure you have at least one smoke detector per floor of your house and that you test it regularly. Make sure that you change the battery every year. Keep the detector free of dust by vacuuming it occasionally. Make sure you plan multiple escape routes for each room and practice what you would do during a fire with each household member. In case of fire:
- Remain calm.
- Stay as close to the floor as possible (crawl if necessary) to stay within the cleanest air.
- If you are in a wheelchair or unable to get out of the house, stay by a window near the floor and signal for help.
- If your clothes catch fire, drop and roll to suffocate the flames. Do not panic and run as that will worsen the flames.
- Feel doors for heat before opening them. If door is hot, find another way out.
- Get out of the house as quickly as possible and do not waste time gathering valuables or pets.
- Select a place where everyone can meet once out of the house so that you know everyone is out.
- Call 911 or the fire department from a neighbor’s house as soon as possible.
- Do not go back in the house or building and do not try to fight the fire yourself.